For those of you who are on top of your stuff and have all your Christmas shopping done and you’re sitting back relaxing in front of the tree with a cup of hot cocoa I’m not going to give you last minute gift ideas. Instead, if you like a good after Christmas sale like I do, I’m sharing 5 tips on how I shop the after Christmas sales for decor I actually want and get myself all prepped for next Christmas.
- Scope out what you want ahead of time. Start checking out stores and their catalogues and websites now while sipping that hot cocoa. It’s not a guarantee that it will be available and on sale, but this way you have a good idea of what to look for and how to prioritize when you’re in store with a frenzy of shoppers or online with a bunch of websites to surf through. Head to the items you want first before you take your time browsing. It keeps you focused so you don’t end up buying a ton of stuff you wouldn’t have bought if it weren’t on sale. This also helps you narrow down the stores to shop so you don’t kill yourself trying to get to a bunch of stores in one day or feel like you’ve missed out if you can’t get to them all.
- Yes, Christmas stuff DOES sell out. So shop early. Usually when I hit up stores a couple days after the 26th all the good stuff is gone, which is usually all the stuff I scoped out in #1. Online too! I’m actually finding that a lot of stores start discounting holiday decor heavily in the weeks leading up to Christmas. So if you’re done Christmas shopping why not get a head start on “after Christmas” shopping?
- It’s kind of crazy, but think about how you want to decorate for Christmas NEXT year. Yes, in 364 days. Have you been wanting to change up your color scheme but each year find it hard to shell out for all new decor? Do you want to try a different style like woodsy and rustic or modern scandi next year? Then shop for those items now at half price!
- Trends come and go, but generally most Christmas decor doesn’t change over time too dramatically. One way to play it safe is to buy items that are really timeless and classic. So stick with the metallic colors, the whites, the reds (if you like red), the greens. Stick with classic shapes like round or star ornaments. Stick with classic materials like mercury glass and velvet. In other words, don’t buy the pink and teal bottlebrush trees if you’re not sure you’re going to love them in 364 days. Especially if it’s a grand departure from your current decorating style.
- Don’t forget the throws, the pillows, the gift wrap, the cards, the dish wares, the linens, and the greenery! It’s not just Christmas lights and ornaments. Everything related to the Holidays and probably winter will go on sale. So if you’ve always wanted to match your gift wrap to your tree decor here’s your chance. If you want to add to your Christmas mug collection do it now!
I know, it seems kind of unsatisfying and maybe even unsettling to have to purchase pretty things and then store them away for a whole year. But think of how exciting it will be next year when you pull out all your decor and you have so many new things to decorate with? You may even be pleasantly surprised, as I am, because I’ve already forgotten what I purchased a year ago!
My go-to shops for after Christmas sales and what I like shopping for.
(Most of these are already having deep sales on Holiday decor!)
Target* – Because…well, it’s Target. For lights, cards, gift wrap, ornaments, trend decor.
Crate & Barrel – For ornaments, candleholders, vases, pillows, throws, faux botanicals, dishware.
Pier 1* – For ornaments, garlands, wreaths, tree and mantel decor, pillows, gift wrap.
Restoration Hardware – For ornaments, string lights, faux fur pillows and throws, wreaths.
Pottery Barn – For ornaments, candleholders, faux fur pillows and throws.
Sur la table* – For dishware and mugs, kitchen and baking gadgets and tools.
(Got these adorable 2-tone holiday mugs* last year in different designs and love using them all season long. They’re on sale now!)
The Container Store* – For gift wrap, holiday decor organization and storage.
How do you like to shop after Christmas sales? Share your tips and your finds below!
*Starred are affiliate links. Thank you for your support!